Proudly Serving Calgary and the Greater Area
Proudly Serving Calgary and the Greater Area
smoke detector

Smoke Detector / Carbon Monoxide Detector

Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are vital in protecting your home. Here at Platinum Electrical Services, our expert electrical technicians can advise on and install appropriate detectors in your home as well as providing a variety of other electrician services


How Do Fires Occur in Alberta?

 According to the province of Alberta, most cases of fires occur during the night or early in the morning. Having a working smoke detector can prevent breathing in the toxic smoke caused by some of these accidental fires. As most people are usually sleeping during the night, they can’t realize that they may be in danger.  Most cases of fire, while being accidental, are extremely dangerous because they can spread rapidly in under 5 minutes. Having a working smoke detector decreases the chance of death significantly. If you are looking for a Calgary electrician based, who can help install these detectors and prevent dangerous fires, look no further than Platinum Electrical Services. We can send an electrical technician to your home that will advise you on how to best protect it.


Why You Should Have A Working Smoke Detector

Having a proper smoke detector allows for the notification through a loud alarm which then notifies homeowners that there may be a danger. Some of these instances might simply occur due to normal routines such as cooking in the kitchen, but studies suggest that having a working fire alarm that is properly installed, tested, and maintained increases your chance of safely exiting your home in the case that there is a fire. Most smoke detectors have a working life of 10 years, because of that the fire department and electricians suggest a full replacement as many of the electrical components deteriorate over time. While you should only have a full replacement every 10 years, homeowners must schedule annual inspections so that they can rigorously test all working components of a smoke detector and perform a self-test monthly to ensure functionality.

 

What Is A Carbon Monoxide Detector & What Does It Do?

Just as a smoke detector detects smoke which is caused by a fire, a carbon monoxide acts similarly but instead focuses on detecting carbon monoxide fumes. When a CO leak occurs, the release of a tasteless and odorless poisonous gas gets released into the air and evenly distributed throughout the home. Unlike smoke, which rises, many people are not safe if they remain low to the ground during an event, and depending on the level found in the air, this could be fatal to anyone that remains in the home after a leak is present. Ensuring that you have a working carbon monoxide detector decreases the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning and death.

Some things homeowners can look out for that may cause a fire or a CO leak are:

  •   Leaving a gas appliance on
  •     Leaving your car running with the garage doors closed
  •     Faulty Water heaters
  •     Faulty Furnaces
  •     Misused Fireplaces
  •     BBQ or Gas grills
  •     Leaving electrical appliances on
  •     Faulty outlets and/or switches

As many of the problems listed above are to do with faulty electrical equipment, it is worth contacting an electrical technician who can check your wiring and equipment as part of their electrician services

 

Always Hire A Local Electrician For The Job!

Having a professionally certified and trained electrician to ensure that both your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are fully functioning significantly increases your chance to be notified in the event of both a fire and a carbon monoxide leak. 


Looking for a Calgary Electrician company?

Instead of simply searching ‘electrician Calgary’ on Google, and hedging your bets on electrician services that may not suit your needs, look for companies that are qualified and have excellent customer reviews. Do not risk your family’s life or your beautiful home, call Platinum Electrical Services today to book your routine check or to learn more about our annual maintenance inspections.

Always Hire a Professional

No matter urgent any electrical repairs seem, it’s never okay to attempt to handle them on your own. Trying to take care of electrical problems without professional training is extremely dangerous. If you or someone else aren’t hurt during your attempt, there’s still a chance that you’ve left something undone that poses a huge risk to you, your home, or your family. In fact, faulty electrical wiring is the number one cause of house fires in the Canada, according to the National Fire Protection Agency. So in order to make sure that your home is safe, always rely on a professional for any electrical services.

When searching for a reliable electrician, call us at (587) 896-3351. We specialize in electrical repairs, indoor and outdoor lighting installations, panel upgrades, and even hot tub wiring!